Skip to main content

How I Engage with Business Media

PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS COMMUNICATION INTRODUCTION

MY COMMUNICATION ISSUES?

     The two main aspects that limit my communication are my lack of vocabulary and overcommunication, such as giving people too much information.

HOW THESE ISSUES MAY IMPACT ME AS A BUSINESS PROFESSIONAL?

     A rich vocabulary gives any person a boost in others eyes, explaining things is much easier with a large list of vocabulary, along with writing professional papers. For the issue of overcommunication, when I am doing group projects or need to send information to someone it may lead to confusion and unsureness, such as once my group and I were to help a non-profit organization with its social media awareness, I emailed my group one too many pieces of information and they were unsure what to include in the powerpoint slides, they then sent it to the head of the organization and he got confused because there was too much information and it was not all accurate because of the overcommunication of information.

HOW HAS CARR'S WORK IMPACTED ME?

     Carr has connected my generations internet use as a consumption of our time, attention span, and creativity. What I have taken from Carr is that the world will all soon be using the internet and is ever adapting and changing because of it, but, at the same time adding a personal touch to my messages to keep people interested instead of them getting bored after 10 seconds and moving on to the next useful piece of information.
 
     Carr has enlightened me that the way I have been interacting with the online world has made me less capable of appreciating important messages in long text, because of distractions. I, as Carr, have seen my ability to be creative and sit in one place and enjoy a separate fantasy other than my own (books) dwindle slowly, and has possibly been transferred to my daily life activities.

     Happily, though, I know that my interactions with the internet/video games have improved me as a worker, with the ability to multi-task, make quicker decisions and amazing hand-eye-coordination.

     Lastly, Carr's comment on the way that multi-tasking tends to diminish our ability to think deeply makes a lot of sense, how can we sit and think if we are constantly distracted and trying to do multiple things at once. I tend to multi-task all day until the minute I fall asleep, giving me less time to think deeply. Deep thought would provide me time to think about my future or anything else that troubles or worries me.

     The speech along with The Shallows excerpt has made me dial down my social media use in recent days along with my habit of putting in headphones everywhere I go, maybe positive changes will come about from it as they did for him!



THREE INDUSTRY RELATED WEBSITES/APPLICATIONS I FOLLOW!

-  Business Insider (phone application)
-  Yahoo Finance (website to check specific company financials/stock value)
-  Forbes (website for articles to write papers for anything related to business events and statistics such as top 10 CEO of 2018.

Comments